Monday, January 11, 2010

Pucallpa, part 1




Waiting for my Peruvian hosts to arrive in Pucallpa on Rio Ucayali I traveled by moto-taxi to the home of Pablo Amaringo, a wonderful artist three of whose paintings of riverscapes and healing ceremonies I had purchased years before from Kat Harrison and Terence McKenna in California. I was chagrined to learn from his son, Juan, that Pablo had died in November. Juan eventually invited me to accompany his brother-in-law Limbert that night as he delivered medicine to a famous curandero, don Fidel Mosombite, who was in the midst of ten days of treatment of a North American expat staying at Juan´s tourist lodge (where three fine Shipibo vessels adorn the deck) on the outskirts of Pucallpa. Don Fidel and the patient were agreeable so I stayed to view the songs and tobacco-blowing which continued until 2am. Don Fidel told great stories of his exploits and misadventures as a teenage wizard´s apprentice and afirmed that he is a sabio now. The next day, thru the magic of the web, I read Terence´s thoughts about his encounters with don Fidel thirty years ago: http://www.salvia-divinorum-scotland.co.uk/otherpsychedelics/dmt/amongayahuasquera.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment